Monday, June 16, 2014

VINTAGE FOOT STOOL

May 2014

A weekend in April we went to help out my husband's grandparents with yard maintenance etc. Low and behold they had an ol' foot stool in there shed that they did not want. I said "pick me, pick me, I would love it" :)  so I had a new project. Nothing that an afternoon couldn't fix. Something about a project just gets my blood a pump'n

Here's the Before and the after...










The wood was rather soft so I had to hand sand it first to get the varnish off. Then I painted it with some colors I had laying around the house so I didn't have to spend much.  I started with a base of a Pearl Cream- took two coats to get it covered completely. Once it was dry I added a coat of Crackle Finish, let it dry then finished it off with one coat of Pomegranate. Lastly, this is an OUTDOOR foot stool, so I added two coats of sealer (waterproof, uv resistant). 

The frame was ok, I added some wood filler in a few cracks and stabilized some of the corner pockets with with wood glue to ensure it wasn't going anywhere once a foot was put on it. 

The Fabric was from Joann's (50% off outdoor fabrics.. woo hoo!!!)... AND 50% of the foam... it was perfect because the foam was the exact length I needed. I just cut it for the width.  I grabbed the nifty little staple gun and started pulling tight. I did one side but left the corners, then I cut the remainder of the fabric and stapled the other side. The corners are a little difficult, but I enjoy a messy look so I didn't spend too much time on them. However if you are a stickler for a good clean upholstery corner, youtube it up. You'll find a tone of videos to help you out. 

Once the frame was dry, I put the 6 screws back in and voila... a new outdoor Spring/Summer (and fall in my eyes) foot stool. Now onto the next project.. ;)-

Total Cost: $13 (Fabric 6.50, Foam 6.50)

No comments:

Post a Comment