Friday, February 21, 2014

VINTAGE HEADBOARD
(May 2011)


Before I got into sanding, I used a chemical peel to remove the existing stain, this took quite a bit of time and elbow grease... 






The pictures are a little backwards, but the original stain is on the far right post... I love the post design and detail, great craftsmanship! This will end up being my headboard for my queen bed in the spare bedroom that I hope to turn into a Vintage Style Room.

The final piece will detail a Crackle glaze finish.
Easy steps are below and I got everything at Lowe's (Valspar)
- Remove all stain/varnish
- sand for a smooth finish
- paint your base color that you want to show through- I did a charcoal seaside blue
- let it dry (overnight if possible)
- add the crackle glaze with a paint brush as evenly as possible
- let it dry at least 2 hours
- add your top coat of paint
- crackle should show through within a minute of painting
- let it all dry overnight
- seal it

* if the crackle is not showing to your liking, take off the top coat (with a wet rag as most paints are water based)- let it dry, then reapply the crackle in that area, let it dry and try the top coat again




Short Story ~ I found this headboard on Craigs List for $10

Total Cost:  $45 (stripper, crackle, scrubbers & sanding supplies)

No comments:

Post a Comment