Friday, February 21, 2014

VINTAGE DRESSER

(April 2011)

Ok folks, give me a little break on the next one here, Vintage Dresser... the headboard and the dresser were my first two projects I had ever tried to conquer, needless to say, my creative spirits were lacking….

Like everyone else at the time- I wanted a Shabby Chic Bedroom; I went with a Cream de Cocoa Paint color. Please keep in mind the top was a plastic laminate of some sort and although I knew the paint would not stick to it, (I don't recommend painting over a plastic laminate unless you are going to cover it with glass) I did it anyway... 

Another option- have you ever thought about putting "wall paper" on P-Lam- you can then seal it, or even ModPodge it for a more glossy sleek look- just a thought. But again, I didn't do any of those things and inevitably, the paint did scratch and peal even after I put a sealer on it. LESSON LEARNED! 

This one was very simple; I took off all the old hardware, washed it with soap and water.  Then, I used a stripper and paint scrapper and got off the old varnish. I then sanded it and since I was impatient, I skipped the primer and went straight to paint, for such a little dresser it wasn't going to make a huge difference… and wa~laa a brighter looking piece for my soon to be vintage bedroom. (May 2011)

Short Story ~ this dresser was my husband’s childhood dresser.


Total Cost: Paint $13 




No comments:

Post a Comment