Monday, March 3, 2014

VINTAGE MIRROR
(March 2011)

I probably spent more on this mirror than I actually should have, but it sounded like a good idea at the time. 

This project was a hands-on popcorn disaster waiting to happen. One wrong ding, or one to many plucks of the staples and the mirror would have cracked and I would have had to get a new one cut. 

When dealing with 'glass' try and be as cautious as you can. Take great care so you don't end up cracking or scratching your glass/mirrors. 

I first took the piece apart, then I started in on the staples of the backboard holding the glass in place. Once It was all taken off, it was smooth sailing. Be sure to place your glass in a Safe place and ALWAYS lay your glass flat, never on it's side or tilted/at an angle

I lightly sanded it, one coat of blue paint, let it dry, applied crackle finish, let it dry, applied the top coat of paint, let it dry, applied a sealer- let it dry, then I put the mirror back in, I lightly tapped new staples/tacks into the backboard (got these at Home Depot), then I started putting it back together. It fit perfectly into the vintage shabby chic design for the spare bedroom. 








Short Story: I got lost not once, but twice on my way to pick up this mirror- I was half tempted to 'forget about it' and move on... obviously the third time's the charm

Total Cost: $40 on craigslist (I had the other supplies)



No comments:

Post a Comment